Process engineers study the production and manufacturing of a product to look at factors like efficiency, quality and safety. These engineers may also help measure sustainability and profitability. They also take overall responsibility for the safe design and operation of the equipment within the area.
What Responsibilities Will I Have?:
- Provide day-to-day observance and support of manufacturing operations
- Oversee and enforce safety, quality, efficiency and cost reduction
- Conduct audits of safety protocol to ensure workers are safe
- Take overall responsibility for safe operation of equipment
- Assist regulatory agencies during audits and assessments
- Provide engineering expertise to leadership
- Provide technical ownership of equipment and processes
- Monitor systems to verifying and optimizing performance
- Lead troubleshooting efforts to resolve process and operational problems
- Find ways to implement customer process requests
- Evaluate business functions for impact on qualified state of equipment
- Be responsible for system classification and maintenance strategy for equipment
- Find improvement opportunities with overseen processes
- Compare system performance statistics with other operations
- Conduct economic analysis of improvement projects
Recommended High School Courses:
The following high school courses are recommended: agricultural education, computer skills, mathematics and physics.
A bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering, manufacturing or industrial engineering is required.