Mechanical engineers are involved with the generation, distribution and use of energy. This could be a part of the control and automation of manufacturing systems, the design and development of machines or the solutions to environmental problems. They provide leadership in maintenance work processes and determine opportunities for improved efficiency.
What Responsibilities Will I Have?:
- Review and develop mechanical specifications and troubleshooting plans
- Develop and implement preventative maintenance plans
- Assist in the development of process documentation and improvement
- Assist with the training and implementation of mechanical maintenance programs
- Assist in the oversight of mechanical construction activities
- Develop materials for the checkout and start-up of the facility
- Manage one or more specific portions of work for a project
- Assume maintenance engineer responsibilities
- Lead maintenance work processes
- Analyze how a mechanical device could be used to help solve problems
- Design or redesign mechanical devices
- Develop and test prototypes of new machinery
- Analyze test results and change designs as needed
- Oversee the manufacturing process
Recommended High School Courses:
The following high school courses are recommended: agricultural education, agricultural mechanics, mathematics and physics.
Mechanical engineers have, at minimum, obtained a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering.