Laboratory technicians collect and prepare samples, carry out experiments, make measurements with scientific equipment, and record presents results for critical analysis. They perform diagnostic and other scientific tests on specimens such as animal and plant tissues, food and water for chemical or cellular constituents, bacterial content and/or chemical contamination.
What Responsibilities Will I Have?:
- Clean, maintain and set up equipment for use in experiments
- Collect, classify and preserve specimens and samples
- Perform diagnostic and other scientific tests on specimens
- Carry out experimental procedures
- Perform routine mathematical calculations and prepare graphs
- Use computers and computer-interfaced equipment
- Carry out routine quality assurance checks
- Assist in the writing of lab reports
Recommended High School Courses:
The following high school courses are recommended: agricultural education, anatomy, biology, mathematics, English, chemistry and physics.
A bachelor’s degree in laboratory science, biology, chemistry, etc. is required to be a laboratory technician.