A food stylist designs, prepares and styles food for photography or on-air demonstration. They will consult with marketing and food production as to which foods should be photographed. They also may at times conduct live demonstrations at industry or private events. Furthermore, they will maintain and clean the test kitchen or demonstration area as well as any cooking equipment.
What Responsibilities Will I Have?:
- Stylize food items for photography and videography
- Go through a recipe step-by-step for on-air or video food demonstration
- Maintain and clean test kitchen or demonstration area as well as cooking equipment and utensils
- Consult with marketing and food production staff as to which foods or recipes should be photographed or presented
- Purchase food and recipe items needed for presentation
- Utilize props such as silverware, plates and fabric to stylize the food
- Conduct live demonstrations at industry or private events
Recommended High School Courses:
The following high school courses are recommended: agricultural education, family and consumer sciences and art.
A minimum of an associate degree in culinary arts, baking arts, nutrition or a related field is required to become a food stylist.