A fisheries technician oversees and assists in the daily work to be completed at a fishery. They ensure fish are well and fed and are responsible for general maintenance around the facility. Additionally, they assist biologists and technicians in various natural resource management or research activities. They also provide technical support and assistance to personnel engaged in fish production and freshwater mussel propagation.
What Responsibilities Will I Have?:
- Assist biologists and technicians in various natural resource management
- Assist in habitat enhancement and management
- Operate high-pressure spray pumps, outboard motors, air boats and other equipment
- Providw technical support and assistance to personnel engaged in fish production and freshwater mussel propagation at a disease-free hatchery
- Prepare diets for fish
- Collect fish broodstock
- Sort and spawn fish
- Clean aquaculture equipment and tanks
- Keep records
Recommended High School Courses:
The following high school courses are recommended: agricultural education, mathematics, biology, chemistry and environmental sciences.
A bachelor’s degree in aquaculture, biology, chemistry, statistics or agriculture is usually needed.